Your children will become what you are, so be what you want them to be~David Bly

Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Healthy Boy

Fun with bubbles outside yesterday
We had Drew's 9 month check up yesterday and he did indeed move up in percentiles :) He is now 29" long, which is the 60th percentile (his last appt. he was in the 25th precentile) and he weighs 19 lbs. 6 oz. which is the 30th percentile (he was previously in the 20th percentile for weight). Dr. Robert said he went through a growth spurt and that he was very happy with his growth thus far. Drew does not like going to the doctor so much. Every time he has to have his eyes, mouth, and mostly his ears looks at, he lets us know that he does.not.like.it! His pediatrician says he is definitely very sensitive when it comes to his check ups. They also check for anemia at 9 months and Drew's levels were just fine which means he does not have to take vitamin supplements.

I was happy that Drew had gone up in weight. I have struggled from the very beginning wondering if I produced enough milk for him. I recently started thinking that I should start supplementing with formula after we nurse to see if he wanted more. My pediatrician said I could surely do that. I think I am going to wait 1 more month until he is 10 months to start that. He is going up in weight, so surely I don't need to be doing it quite yet or else my pediatrician would have advised me so, right? I just know that my supply has diminished quite a bit over the last month and want to ensure Drew is getting the 16-20 oz./day he should be. My goal was to breastfeed for 6 months, I am very happy that we have made it 9+ so far. My goal is 1 year now (when he can go to whole milk) but feel like we might supplement soon too. Another reason I am happy we were able to continue breastfeeding is because I saw the price of formula at the grocery store yesterday! Honestly, it was the first time I even looked at formula....I think we might have a couple cans in a closet that we got somewhere (doctors? baby fair? hospital? who knows....). Dr. Robert recommended Nestle Soy (because of the sensitivity Drew has to the protein in cow's milk...which he should be growing out of.) and it was $27.99 a can!!!!!
Fun in the tub!
Happy boy waking from afternoon nap.

3 comments:

  1. I am so happy to hear that Drew is growing! He is actually one inch taller than Katie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is so sweet and such a happy baby. Seems to me mom and dad might be doing a few things right!
    Love, Mom M.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - he is really cute and you are pretty good with that camera of yours - the pics are great! It's nice to be keeping in touch with you guys. I would love forour little "Drews" to meet!

    ReplyDelete