That was the question for us today as we exchanged our old Dr. Brown's bottles that contain BPA in for new BPA free ones. For those of you still using the old bottles which contain BPA in the plastic, you can bring them to Babies R' Us and get store credit towards other, safer bottles. This has been on our list to get done for Camden so we brought in our 6 bottles today to exhange them. I was surprised that I only had 6 bottles, I searched in all the cabinets and in my stored away breast pump carrier to make sure. I guess I didn't give Drew many bottles, and when I did I only needed one for the road. I never had to make several bottles at once, all that liquid gold was stored in freezer bags for when we needed a little. Oh yes, and I did use formula for the last two months I nursed as I weaned him. Anyway...
The only 2 BPA free containing bottles that are out there (besides going to glass which is not something I wanted to do) are Dr. Browns and Born Free. I was drawn to the look of the Born Free because they looked more like the old Dr. Browns. The plastic on the new Dr. Brown bottles are not as clear as the old or the Born Free ones. BUT I loved the Dr. Browns bottles that I used with Drew and for that reason, liked the Dr. Browns. So as I continued comparing I noticed that Born Free was a lot more expensive. Like $27.99 for 3 9 oz. Born Free bottles vs. a 3 pack of 8 oz. Dr. Browns's bottles for $12.99, quite a difference. BUT then I realized that Dr. Browns did NOT come in the wide version as they used to...AND the Born Free DID. Well, that ended up making my decision for me. I always heard that using a wide based nipple (for which you need a wide based bottle) was more like nursing and was less likely to cause nipple confusion. So, since I plan on nursing her, I felt like this was the better decision. Of course, I always end up finding a reason to go with the more expensive version-I just hope their venting system is as good as the Dr. Brown's!

Have you seen the Adiri nursers? http://www.adiri.com/ They look like a boobie and are also BPA free, and they say they have a vent system to help reduce colic. I've not ever talked to anyone who's used them, but I love the way they look! (esp. for a primarily boobie fed baby).
ReplyDeleteWas in Whole Foods yesterday and saw another BPA-Free (and Phthalate-Free) plastic bottle...Green to Grow, and they're so darn cute!...and they have a wide-neck (I think you mentioned you liked those.)
ReplyDeletehttp://www.greentogrow.com/