Friday morning was a sad one at our house. When I got Drew up we started talking about how it was a school day. He didn't say anything at first but then quickly let me know that "I don't want to go to school, I want to stay home" and he had tears welling in his eyes. I tried to convince him that he was going to have a great day, I would be there to pick him up in time for lunch, etc. He just kept repeating the same phrase and had tears rolling down his cheeks. Not crying, not screaming, just the break-your-heart sweet tears of sadness. I almost started crying with him and told him he could just stay home. Instead, I distracted him with the trash truck on our street, and we quickly got his shoes on so he could run out to see it. The whole way to school he looked very sad, I was fighting back my own tears just looking at the sweet boy's face. We got there and he didn't want to go in, he made me carry him (along with his sister, 2 teacher gift bags and his backpack). We got to his room, we put up his backpack. I spent a few minutes saying goodbye and Mrs. J took him. He was already done crying by the time I left the door, his teacher had distracted him with the new stickers she had for them that day. I went to the hallway and started crying myself. (today was harder for both of us I think!). There is a teacher's aide that floats between the classrooms (I can't believe I don't know her name yet) who ALWAYS fills me in on Drew's day and makes me feel so good about leaving him. She stood at the classroom windows with me and helped me to see where he was before I left.
Camden and I left for our errands for the day, and we were back to get Drew in plenty of time to watch him through the windows for a few minutes before dismissal. The aide and Mrs. H told me he had a great day and there were no more tears after I left in the morning. Mrs. J said he is such a sweet boy, and that he had a great day. She told me to bring him to school this week in big boy underwear. I don't think we are going to though. We have tried a little more this weekend with no interest in the potty on Drew's part, and I think he needs more time to adjust to school before having to worry about wetting his pants there. When Mrs. J called Drew to the door, he came running with a smile and a hug for me, that was exactly what this mama needed! Then, as promised, we went to Chick Fil' A for lunch and Drew was extra excited when he got a blue balloon and a chick fil a cow!
Late night treat with mommy
just being a goofball at home!
Aw. that's tough. it will get better and you'll both be loving it before long!
ReplyDeleteHe is such a handsome little boy! He will end up loving school before you know it!
ReplyDelete