first day of schoolDrew had his first day of Mother's Day Out (AKA: school) today and he did great!
I was anxious last night and had some tears about leaving my baby for the first time...literally, we have only left him with family or our good friends. Not church, not daycare, not a babysitter, nothing...so this was a big day for both of us.This morning I had butterflies in my stomach all the way there. We did breakfast like normal this morning, Will stayed home with Camden so I could focus on just Drew. We got there and walked in and got to Drew's classroom and he did not want to walk in, he told me he wanted me to stay. I told him I would stay for a few minutes and we went to find his cubby and put all his belongings up. We looked at a couple puzzles together and when one of his teachers was ready to take him from me, we parted ways. He screamed, and I quickly walked out. I cried as soon as I got into the hallway! I was able to peek in the classroom windows right after dropping him though and he was playing on the floor with a train and doing ok. We had a parent meeting across the hall and I peeked in after that was over, and he was sitting at the table doing a craft with Mrs. J and the other kids I felt good about leaving, he was doing well :)
The house was awfully quiet without him here, but I felt ok about it. The time did go quickly before I had to be back to get him.
I was the first parent there and was able to talk to the teacher's aide in the hallway for several minutes and she assured me that Drew had a good day. I guess he saw a parent walking down the stairs while they were out on the playground, and then was upset because he thought all the parents should be there and his was not :( She said it lasted a couple minutes and after that he really did have a good day. As Mrs. H was bringing the kids' backpacks/lunchboxes out to the hall she told me Drew had a great day. The aide and Mrs. H told me the note I placed in Drew's lunchbox was a big hit. They said it was in his hand all through lunch and it was still in his lunchbox when I got home. Who knew a little note (that he couldn't read by himself) would mean so much to him. Now, I will save that note forever (after it dries out from his water spilling on it!).
When I picked him up, Mrs. J told me he was great, such a big helper, had a great day, and even went pee pee on the potty! :) He looked exhausted and ready to go home, I almost thought he was going to cry when he saw me. He was concerned about making sure we had his lunchbox and then he gave Mrs. J a hug goodbye and got a stamp on his hand for the day (which he wanted to wash off as soon as we got home).
We talked all the way home and had the rest of snack when we got home and cuddled before heading up for nap. He told me that R in his class cried all day (which is true...poor guy), told me that Mrs. J read books, he got to play with the toys, went potty, etc. I think he had a good first day and will probably take a really long, much needed nap!
way to go Drew!
xoxo
Mommy!

No comments:
Post a Comment